The Concise Version
Hi, I’m Jill, freelance writer for the web and proofreader exceptionelle. I grew up in a small town north of Vancouver, Canada. In 2011 I received a BA from the University of Guelph. I’ve trained in professional copyediting and proofreading with Ryerson University and the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (UK). My other interests are travelling, dancing, crocheting, and listening to podcasts.
The Long Version
I’m Jill, a freelance writer for the web and proofreader, passionate about helping others tell the stories that need to be told. I’ve worked with all sorts of individuals and businesses to write or edit their content to maximize its potential for success.
I grew up in the beautiful wilds of British Columbia, Canada, in a small town just a few hours north of Vancouver. It is there at an early age that I unearthed my love for words done well.
I graduated from the University of Guelph in 2011 with a BA in European Studies and a minor in German Studies. Two years of working in corporate administration was enough to convince me that I needed to change track and give my passion for storytelling another go. So I quit my 9-5 and dove headfirst into a Publishing Certificate at Ryerson University to better learn the craft of effective communication through writing. From there I’ve honed my skills through side projects and further training.
I’ve just wrapped up a two-year working holiday in England, and I’m keen to explore more of the world!
Fun Facts About Me
- I am never not craving watermelon
- My (not so) hidden (not so) guilty pleasures are real estate & home renovation shows and true crime podcasts
- I have several tattoos and am planning more (including a large, literary-themed leg piece)
- I am a fairly fluent reader of German and French, though my speaking and listening skills are a bit rusty
- My favourite musical instrument is the cello, and as soon as I make my first million I’m going to learn how to play it
- I once emceed a University-wide pep rally, including leading a 10-minute choreographed dance on-stage
- I’ve travelled to over a dozen countries and hope to make it to 20 by the time I’m 30